Friday 9 August 2013

NYC - 185 Hope Street

After purchasing a voucher for 2 Beers and 2 burgers from itison.com, I took my first venture to NYC - a newly opened bar / restaurant on Hope Street.

I sat down to lunch with a friend in one of the window seats, the place was pretty quiet with one staff member behind the bar. After we ordered our beers we both had a swatch at the menu on the table. It very quickly became apparent that I was not getting a choice in what I was ordering from the 'burger menu'. So it was a falafel pita sandwich with garlic mayo for me and a Manhattan burger for my friend.

After a little while I once again felt the familiar pang of food envy as we were given our respective dishes. I stared across at my pal's burger; piled high with cheese, bacon, onion rings and barbecue sauce. Then I looked down at my pita, with two balls of falafel popped in next to some salad. Both dishes came with a healthy dose of fries and a selection of condiments on the table. After chopping my falafel and attempting to spread it across the pita I got stuck in, it was pretty tasty, but it was no burger.

I think perhaps the common misconception about vegetarians is that we want to be healthy, which is true to an extent, I watch what I eat. However, if I'm going to a restaurant to eat a burger, I want the works! I want cheese, I want onion rings, I want fried, fatty and filling. I want brioche, I want a bun!

If you are choosing from the rest of the New York themed menu you will be choosing from a bagel and cream cheese (not bad for lunch), nachos, penne arrabiata or a pizza / calzone with toppings of your choice (think little Italy).

Overall, I was disappointed in the lack of choice as opposed to the actual quality of the dish. I will however definitely be back. After lunch we decided to sample a cocktail from the extremely varied, New York novelty drinks menu with a cocktail to suit every person and every occasion (and all meat free!). I sipped on a strawberry daiquiri from a tall, frosty milkshake glass which was outstanding value at a mere £3.50! With tempting alternatives such as the 'Especial Mojito' (Havana, fresh limes, sugar, mint and soda) or the 'Sex and the City' (Lime vodka, blueberries, raspberries, strawberries, sugar, lemon juice, Creme de Cassis and apple juice) I was spoiled for choice. With all that fruit in there, maybe I should spend my next visit dining on the cocktails!?

NYC's Drinks Menu


Quick Rating:
Choice: 2/5
Quality: 3/5
Overall Experience: 3/5

For more information: Visit NYC's website here.


No comments:

Post a Comment