Thursday 8 August 2013

Pass The Vegetables...

I have a Bee in my bonnet, a thorn in my side, nae - I have HAM in my cheese toastie. 

Let me give you a bit of context; 


As a teenager I was a struggling vegetarian. I then relapsed into meat eating through my university years but in November last year I resolved to be a pescetarian (no food with lungs, gills are ok). 

Now, I like my food and I LOVE eating out but it would seem that cafes and restaurants do not love me. Just the other day I found myself walking out of a cafe because they had 'run out' of vegetarian options. The week before, I found myself at two very high-end establishments; while I watched everyone around me eat their choice of duck, lamb, steak, or chicken, I had no choice but a beef tomato stuffed with mushrooms (two of my least favourite vegetables)or casual, Italian gnocci, with a basic tomato and parmesan sauce. The kind of dish I make on a Monday night when I'm too lazy to really cook. Don't even get me started on Chinese takeaways!

My questions are; Why are vegetables only a side dish? Why are vegetarians an after thought? Why should I have to worry about eating on a night out? More and more of us are trying to eat more veg and less meat. Sure, there are plenty of quaint little places that are completely vegetarian or even vegan but that's not exactly appetising either. Try convincing your meat loving pals that they should all spend their hard earned cash in a restaurant that has no burger, steak or chicken.

I am now going to make it my personal quest to find the best veggie friendly eateries in Glasgow. From now on, each of my dining out experiences will be documented online, scrutinised for the number of veggie choices and the originality of the dishes. Points off for safe options like mushrooms and goats cheese (NOT ALL VEGETARIANS LOVE MUSHROOMS). Glasgow - I'm coming to eat you, one vegetable at a time!

My Home made vegetable lasagne.


No comments:

Post a Comment